Post-Divorce Modifications

Support and Child Custody Modifications in Norman

Things can change after a divorce, child custody or child support order is finalized. It is important that child custody and visitation arrangements, child support orders and spousal support agreements reflect your family's current situation. At the Smalley Law Firm, our custody, visitation and child support attorney has the experience and skills necessary to provide effective legal representation in post-divorce modification cases. Our family law firm offers many years of experience serving families in Norman and throughout Central Oklahoma.

To get started on your case right now with no obligation whatsoever, simply complete ourConfidential Consultation Form.

Child Custody and Visitation Modifications

All matters relating to child custody are decided based upon what is in the best interests of the child. Therefore, in order for the court to consider a modification of child custody or visitation, there must have been a change in the conduct or circumstances of one of the parents, and a modification of custody or visitation would serve the child's best interests. Child custody and visitation modifications are frequently initiated as a result of:

  • One parent's need or desire to relocate to another state with the child
  • Allegations of child abuse or neglect
  • Other changes in material circumstances

Child Support Modifications

Child support obligations are calculated using Oklahoma's statutory child support formula. When there is a significant change in one parent's income, or when there is a change in the percentage of time each parent spends with the child, it may be necessary to adjust the existing child support order in order to increase or decrease support obligations. Changes in financial circumstances could include:

  • A parent loses his or her job or suffers a permanent cut in hours
  • A parent is promoted or is hired for a higher-paying job
  • A parent regularly receives overtime pay
  • The child's financial needs increase due to disability or other special circumstance
  • Day care expenses change (such as when child care is no longer needed)

Our attorney will take the time necessary to really learn your situation so that we can pursue a modified arrangement or court order that suits your needs and the needs of your children.

Discuss Your Case With a Family Law Attorney

Whether you need legal advice regarding a modification of child support, child custody or other family court order, we can help. Contact the office of the Smalley Law Firm, in Norman to schedule an initial consultation. Call us today at 405-801-2222.