Qualified Domestic Relations Orders (QDRO)

When dividing marital property and assets, there is more to consider than just the cars, house or vacation home. In most cases, an individual's or couple's retirement benefits, investments, pensions or other related assets can account for the majority of the family's wealth. With so much at stake, it's important to work with an attorney who can help you identify, valuate and properly divide these assets during your divorce.

Advisers, Attorneys And Guides - We Are Your Resource When Dividing Benefits And Investments

Our attorneys at Smalley Law Firm want to make sure you understand all your options when going through a divorce or other family law dispute. By providing you with the appropriate information, you can more confidently make decisions that best achieve your goals.

An important aspect of most divorces involves the distribution of retirement accounts; and an essential tool in these matters is the qualified domestic relations order (QDRO). These documents allow you to divide or assign a percentage of your retirement accounts to your partner. This payment can contribute to the equitable division of assets, spousal support as well as child support.

When you work with our lawyers, we will review the details of your divorce, your accounts and assets, and offer an honest assessment of how best to divide the following types of benefits:

  • 401(k)s
  • Employee stock ownership plans
  • Savings plans
  • Profit sharing plans
  • Pension benefit plans
  • Defined benefit plans
  • Deferred compensation plans
  • Federal employee plans, including military pensions, Thrift Savings Plans (TSP), Federal Employees Retirement System (FERS) and others

In addition to helping you divide your benefits, we can explain penalties and tax consequences of pulling money out of these accounts, what the funds can be used toward (child support for example), and other issues specific to your situation.

Contact Us To Learn More About QDROs

From our offices in Norman, we represent clients throughout Central Oklahoma. To speak with an attorney, call us at 405-322-5653 or reach us via email by submitting an online contact form.